vrijdag 21 januari 2011

McDonald's: You coffee is ready



My next entry is about a Guerrilla Marketing stunt by McDonald's. McDonald's had a promotional action where they gave away free coffee for two weeks. To promote this action, they decides to use Guerrilla Marketing. They hang posters of a cup of McDonald's coffee in a couple of bus stops. What people didn't know was that there was a steam generator build into these bus stop posters. Sporadically a burst of steam came out, showing the hidden message on the poster: 'Your coffee is ready'.

I watched the movie of this stunt on Youtube, and what I loved the most about it were the peoples faces. They all were waiting patiently for their bus to come, not even noticing the posters. Then steam comes up and they all start to look. It showed to me that it was a great way of making people notice you. And this is also what I love the most of Guerrilla Marketing, it is unexpected.

I do wonder if the stunt had the effect that McDonald's wanted. I don't think many people will go and get coffee when they are waiting on the bus, because they could miss it. And will people really remember this stunt at the end of the day, and tell their friends about it? Was is even that obvious that the message was send by McDonald's? All things aside, I do believe the stunt itself was original and well executed, I only doubt if it had the expected outcome.

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten